Wilderness Ranger Internship
The Northwoods Volunteer Connection, in partnership with the Superior National Forest, is recruiting for a wilderness ranger intern position to work in the Superior National Forest and Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. We are looking for individuals who are passionate about wild lands and interested in a career in natural resource management. The first months of this position will be spent as a wilderness ranger with the Forest Service, gaining experience maintaining recreational resources and travelling in the Boundary Waters. In the second half of the season, duties will transition to organizing and leading volunteer crews across the Superior National Forest.
The wilderness ranger intern will receive a a daily stipend, free housing, and a great career experience in a leadership role while working in one of the most unique Wilderness areas in the country! This position is based on the Lake Superior’s north shore (Grand Marais/Tofte, MN).
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Multi-day backcountry camping experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both public and co-workers.
- Safety conscious in backcountry setting.
- Ability to work in physically strenuous conditions.
- Ability to carry 50 lb. tool pack and associated camping gear.
- Ability to commit to season dates (May to October 2018).
Additional experience that would be desirable for this position:
- Experience working with/overseeing volunteers.
- Experience with canoes and travel in the Boundary Waters.
JOB DUTIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Up to 8-day backcountry canoe trips in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Maintain wilderness campsites and trails using traditional tools including crosscut saws and axes.
- Assist in campsite and social monitoring and hazard tree management.
- Educate backcountry visitors on Leave No Trace and Wilderness ethics.
- Lead groups of volunteers in stewardship projects including 5-day trips into the wilderness.
- Travel to work across the Superior National Forest (Forest Service vehicle provided).
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to Laurel Wilson at email@example.com.